Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/11

Ten years ago, today, I was out riding my bike and taking pictures of the beautiful Idaho landscape, unaware of the fact that extremists were carrying out their destructive designs 2500 miles away. I did not find out what had happened until I reported for my first day of my new job. I remember seeing, on a television, two smoking craters on the sides of the towers and thinking to myself, "Wow, that looks like a good movie." Then, I continued on my way.
When I entered the store, my boss, who had been watching the news all morning, looked at me with shock on his face, shook his head and said, "Crazy, huh?!" I had no idea what he was talking about, and told him as much. He stared at me for about a minute, in unbelief at my ignorance, and then proceeded to tell me all that had happened. As the tale unfolded, I remember thinking that it was all some sort of a hoax. Thinking, "this can't happen here!" Finally, assured that it was not a hoax, I felt sick and troubled and confused. As hours turned to days, and days turned to weeks, the grisly details came rolling in. The sick, troubled and confused feelings that I experienced intensified.
I have a few friends that used this experience to form a wedge between themselves and God. I turned to God to sort out my feelings. I know that many others did the same. If I may, (it is my blog, so I can) I would like to tell you that I know that God, the Father lives. And our Savior, Jesus Christ. Whatever anger, pain or sorrow that we may be feeling or whatever anguish or lamentations that we may have, can be swallowed up in His love. He descended beneath all things, so that He may know how to succor his people. If we turn to him, and do as he asks, he will heal our wounded hearts, and make the empty soul overflow. At this time of remembrance, let us find healing in His wings and look forward towards a brighter future.
Whatever you may think of me, I know that these things are true. They are what have sustained me throughout my life. I feel that if we forget these truths, or turn our backs on them, we are forsaking our freedoms and allowing the enemies of freedom and justice to cross our borders and reign with terror. From my reading this week, I would like to quote a passage from The March of Freedom. Edwin J. Feulner, speaking of Russell Kirk, says this: "As supporters of free enterprise, believers in democracy, and guardians of the Judaeo-Christian principles on which America was founded, we are committed to the idea that one person-even fighting against seemingly impossible odds-can change the world. We would do well to remember T.S. Eliot's words that Kirk often quoted with approval: '...there is no such thing as a Lost Cause because there is no such thing as a Gained Cause. We fight because we know that our defeat and dismay may be the preface to our successors' victory.' The Sage of Mecosta knew that 'in every period, some will endeavor to pull down the permanent things, and others will defend them manfully.' Russell Kirk cast his lot with those manning the barricades, and he invites us to be his comrades in arms." I feel that I can add little to those words.
So, this is where I will end my post today. I hope that you have enjoyed my postings. I welcome comments and/or suggestions on how I can improve my blog. Please keep them civil, as vulgar comments will be promptly removed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment